Quinoa = Keen-Wah
Quinoa is not a grain but actually a seed that is used as a grain. It’s cooked like rice. You’ll add 2 cups of water to 1 cup of quinoa. Bring to a boil and then turn it down to a light boil until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is soft. Add quinoa to taco meat or use as taco meat, add to salads or put pesto on it with a mix of veggies. That recipe will come soon…
Here’s why you should eat Quinoa
- 1 Cup of Quinoa contains:
- Potassium, Zinc, Iron, Copper, Folate, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Manganese, Fiber, vitamin E and Protein
- Trace amounts of B1, B2 & B6, Calcium, B3 and Niacin
- Quinoa is Gluten Free
- Quinoa is high fiber, aids in weight loss, protects the heart and is anti-cancer
- Quinoa counts as a whole grain food even though it is considered a seed.
- Quinoa contains all the 9 essential amino acids
- The high anti-oxidants in quinoa help your skin and hair.
- The high magnesium and protein content aids in bone health.
My tip and little secret, boil the quinoa in veggie broth instead of water! It adds a yummy flavor and your family and guests are likely to want more!!